Everyone has their own unique way of swinging a golf club, but every good swing should be based on a few fundamental principles, and these fundamentals are dependant on a body that is healthy, efficient, and fully functional. Restrictions and dysfunctions in the body can seriously affect your swing, and attempting to perform a swing that your body is not capable of can leave you vulnerable to injuries.
Everything begins with an assessment, because if we're not assesssing, we're guessing.
The initial assessment will allow us to diagnose your injury, identify keys restrictions & dysfunctions in the body, and any training errors which have contributed to the onset of your Golf injury.
The intial injury assessment consists of two main parts:
- a discussion about your injury (when did it start? how does it feel?, what can/can't you do?, etc. This is the subjective assessment)
- a physical (objective) assessment (mobility, flexibility, strength, etc)
We will then put an appropriate rehabilitation program in place, not only to resolve the actual injury, but also to correct those restrictions, dysfunctions and training errors.
This rehabilitation program may include:
- exercises to be performed at home or at the gym (what you do everyday is important!)
- treatments in clinic to help speed the healing and recovery process (every little helps)
- advice on what activities you can continue and what to avoid (we want to keep you as active as possible)
- customised foot orthotic insoles to encourage optimum foot function (more steps that swings in 18 holes!)
- simple information about what your injury is, how it heals, why it happened, and how to avoid it in the future (knowledge is power!)
- sometimes it's useful to get some images of your injury area (MRI, CT, X-ray, etc, in case its a tricky one)
Rehabilitation is an active process, requires at least some time and effort on your part, and will require a variable number of follow up visits.
Once the injury itself is on the road to recovery, we can then carry out the most detailed & in-depth Golf specific assessment you will ever have, which will identify any further restrictions and dysfunctions which could leave you vulnerable to Golf injuries in the future. This will allow us to develop a custom, bespoke, training program to rehabilitate your entire body to prevent future injuries, by improving your mobility, core stability, balance, strength and power. We can also liaise wth your Golf coach to optimise your golf swing, making the most of your abilities while reducing the risk of further injury. Don't have a Golf Coach? We can put you in touch with the best golf coach (with the best facilities) in Gloucester!
A structured, bespoke Golf injury rehabilitation program will identify your current injury, and can correct these restrictions and dysfunctions, improving your swing and reducing the chance of injury.
Some clients have added 30-40 yards to their drive and irons after recovering from serious injuries!
If you are lucky enough to not have any Golf related pain or injuries at the moment, then now is the perfect time to increase your physical abilities, develop your core stability, mobility, balance, strength, and power, so you can safely perform the best possible Golf swing, and get the most out of the sport you love, without worrying about Golf related injuries or pain.
Research has shown that a structured training program can increase club head speed & driving distance in a matter of weeks!
Have a look at the Golf Fitness page to see whats involved and how it can help you.